Thursday, February 18, 2010

Writing my feature story was interesting and definitely kept me on my toes. I started out with a great idea that I knew was going to turn into a fantastic story. Then my idea was crushed. I wanted to write a compelling story about what its like to work in the solar industry in Northern Colorado. Then I learned that this business is based upon government related tax credits. During a recession no one is doing work related to installing solar systems because they are extremely expensive endeavors. People in the industry are biding their time doing heating, air-conditioning repair and other related jobs until the next tax credits are issued.

Researching this assignment was easy because the people I interacted with were excited that I was interested in solar energy.

This assignment was enjoyable simply from the life lessons that come from making mistakes. I know that I am a better journalist from the experiences I had while writing this story. I wrote the story in the end, but I learned valuable journalistic lessons regarding research. At first I thought I should scrap the whole story and move on, but in the end I am glad I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment